Friday, November 11, 2011

Top 5 Christmas CDs for the Season

There's no better way to get in the mood for the holiday season, than by listening to some great Christmas music.  Every year artists release new albums singing their versions of Silent Night and Winter Wonderland resulting in a few bad remakes, or a few winners.

For me, Christmas music is a necessity during the holiday season - they are the sounds I listen to while baking thousands of cookies, hanging various ornaments on the tree, and cleaning up the guest room for out-of-town guests.  So of course I have a folio filled with Christmas music (yes, I still buy CDs rather than MP3s) and this year, I'm planning to add these 5 to my collection.  Click on the links to enjoy...



 

Every Christmas my boyfriend and I set aside time to make some hot chocolate and sit down to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas.  We love the music, the sad little Christmas tree, and especially Charlie Brown.  So, when I noticed this CD, I had to preview each of the songs.  It is an excellent album and the Lori Mechem Quartet does an amazing job of capturing the wonderful sounds of A Charlie Brown Christmas.  Vince Guaraldi would be so proud.



 

 Seven years ago, I had never heard of Mannheim Steamroller.  I'm not even entirely sure of the Orchestra's history, but what I do know is that ever since that first Christmas with my boyfriend and his family, they have become a staple in my stereo.  Their music is absolutely wonderful, but even more important, their music has created a unique memory for me, a reminder of my boyfriend and his loud Italian family on Christmas morning exchanging presents, icing Charlie Brown cookies and chasing kids around the house.  Great album, priceless memories.



 

Oh, Michael Buble, how sexy is your voice?!  I would happily listen to anything by M.B., but this album truly is magical.  I love his "rat pack" voice and those big band sounds.  "Holly Jolly Christmas" makes me want to snap my fingers to the beat, "Santa Baby" makes me feel like I'm living in Mad Men times, and "Ave Maria" gave me chills.  Definitely one of my favorite Christmas CDs.  Ever.





I am not actually acquainted with Vanessa Peters' music, but happened to run across this CD on Amazon when searching for holiday music.  Not knowing exactly what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by her laid back voice.  It feels like Indie Pop music, her voice not anything exceedingly special but it has a familiarity & warmth to it that makes me want to keep listening.  My favorite tracks are: Oh Holy Night, What Child Is This, and Winter Wonderland.





The second I saw this CD on the store shelves, I wanted it.  I just knew it would be great, and it definitely is.  She & Him mix up the arrangements making them sound new and whimsical.  Absolutely love every song on here, but a few of my favorites are "The Christmas Waltz", "Baby It's Cold Outside", and "The Christmas Song".  Can't wait to roast marshmallows while listening to this album and cuddling with my boyfriend.

No comments: