Monday, November 21, 2011

Woody Allen Documentary



I have always been a fan of Woody Allen's work despite his lifestyle choices.  As a creative writing grad, I simply commend him for being such a prolific screenwriter and director.  During his career, he has written, starred in and directed a numerous amount of movies, with such big hits as Annie Hall, Manhattan, and his most recent movie, Midnight in Paris. 

Until recently, I hadn't really thought about Allen and his body of work.  I owned Annie Hall and could recall a handful of others, but there was no collective memory of what his work embodied.  An avid moviegoer, I usually see each new movie that comes out at my local theater.  However, the quality of movies coming out of Hollywood a few years ago really went downhill and so I decided to take that time to go back and watch movies I'd missed along the way, especially those that are highly regarded.  Included in those were a few Woody Allen flicks which then set off this domino effect for my boyfriend and I - we set out to watch every movie Woody Allen had either directed or written.  Some were not so great, but others were hilarious.  As always, the same neurotic, self-loathing, anxiety-driven character was there struggling with their existence in the world.

Woody Allen is a true comedian and writer whose prolific work has truly earned his place in pop culture and movie history.  And lucky for us fans, PBS is airing a documentary on their "American Masters" segment titled Woody Allen: A Documentary.  Part two airs tonight.  Will you be watching?

Here are 5 of Allen's movies you should watch besides the obvious:

  1. Manhattan Murder Mystery
  2. Play It Again Sam
  3. Take the Money and Run
  4. Melinda and Melinda
  5. Whatever Works

And here's an article in Vogue regarding PBS's documentary on Woody Allen.




{Photos via here & here}

No comments: