Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Epitome of Chanel

Maybe it's just me, but Keira Knightley exudes Chanel.  I had seen the first picture listed of Keira at People Online, and her cropped hair, signature Chanel bag and gold-toned dress with blazer at the recent Chanel fashion show in Paris reminded me so much of what Chanel is all about.  So I googled her, and the images I found below were so much like the ones I'd seen before of Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, that I had to post them. Honestly, doesn't she look like the modern day Coco?

 




Coco Chanel via My Vintage Darling, Keira Knightley pictures 
courtesy of People Online, with the exception of Keira's Elle cover


As a side note, I was just reading Coco Chanel's biography on Wikipedia and I had no idea she had had ties to Nazi Germany and had even been arrested in 1943 for collaborating with Walther Schellenberg to make contact with Winston Churchill.  She avoided trial because of her close connection to the British Royal family, whom she had designed clothes for throughout her career.

Also, there are two biographies out that I would love to read including Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life and Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky.  The first attempts to separate the facts from the myths, since Chanel often lied about her upbringing in an attempt to guard herself.  The latter is about the affair between Chanel & Stravinsky when she meets him after a performance of the Rite of Spring.  She takes him and his family into her home, seduces him and begins an affair despite the presence of his ill wife.  Both sound fascinating, especially since most of her history eludes me and until now knew none of the things I've just written.  

Out of curiosity, would knowing all of the things above keep you from buying her clothes?  I remember people refusing to buy Tommy Hilfiger clothes because they believed him to be racist.  Would knowing she was a Nazi sympathizer and mistress to various men make you think different of her clothes?  Food for thought...

No comments: